Friday, April 5, 2013

What are Bib Gourmands?

From the Michelin Travel & Lifestyle website:
(http://www.michelintravel.com/michelin-selections/what-are-bib-gourmands/)

"The Bib Gourmand designation denotes good cuisine at a reasonable price in a variety of comfort categories. Defined as “Inspectors’ Favorites for Good Value,” Bib Gourmand restaurants offer two courses and a glass of wine or dessert for $40 or less (tax and gratuity not included), and are often of most value to a city’s residents, who regularly dine in neighborhood restaurants."


So what, then, is the aim of the bibgourmando blog, other than being a shameless rip-off of the 'Bib Gourmand' name?

1.  To promote awareness of tasty cuisine, at a reasonable price, in a variety of comfort categories.
2.  "Comfort categories," under my definition, span not only my favorite neighborhood restaurants but also my favorite make-at-home meals, which are usually an even better value.  :)

To calibrate you to my biases, my priorities as a restaurant patron are 1) taste; 2) innovativeness (e.g., I've never eaten anything like it before and/or I can't easily recreate the dish at home); and 3) value (though this is a moving target -- the higher a restaurant meal scores on 1 and 2, the more I'm willing to pay).  The qualify of food takes precedence over the dining experience for me (service and ambiance), though the more the food costs, the higher my expectations of service and ambiance.

My priorities as a home cook:  1) taste; 2) ease and quickness of preparation; 3) relative 'healthiness', though #3 is readily sacrificed if #1 and #2 score highly in my mind.

I'm an avid reader of restaurant reviews, food blogs, and cookbooks.  I'm a big fan of the Food Network and Top Chief.  As a consequence, my dining and cooking experiences draw on these resources.  Look for references to the original sources when I've 'borrowed' ideas or recipes.  My aim in this blog is not to promote any personal innovativeness or creativity on the culinary front but rather, to share my general enthusiasm for food, cooking, and all things food-related.

With that, allez cuisine!

No comments:

Post a Comment